Custom Search
CivicLifeSportsSchoolsBusinessFoodOur HomesLetters/OpinionsCalendar

Published November 23rd, 2022
Some new faces join town council table come January

There were three slots to fill in the Nov. 8 town council election race - two four-year terms and one two-year term (also referred to as a short term).
With only two candidates vying for the four-year term, incumbent Steve Woehleke and Kerry Hillis ended up running unopposed. As of Nov. 18, Woehleke had captured 51.38% of the votes (5,176); and Hillis garnered the other 48.62% of votes (4,898).
David Shapiro was one of two candidates competing for the short-term seat with the town council. As of Nov. 18 reporting, Shapiro's 72.37% of the votes (4,778) helped him to handily defeat his opponent Kendall Langan who came up with 27.63% of votes (1,824).
"I look forward to continuing to serve all citizens of Moraga, I welcome Kerry Hillis and David Shapiro joining the Council and thank Mike McCluer and Sona Makker for their service," said Woehleke, in a written statement. "That only Kerry Hillis and I ran for the two open four-year seats concerns me. Moraga's Town Council has less than two years to attract a robust slate of candidates when three seats open in 2024. Handling the wide range of town issues entails applying good and balanced decision making skills. Valuing organizational capability and having some applicable experience are important, and representing diversity is valuable. I get great satisfaction from having a positive impact on Moraga's citizens."
Hillis came close to being on the town council in October 2021, when a seesaw appointment process nearly gave him the edge to fill the seat resigned by former council member David Stromberg. "Thank you for your support, Moraga," the newly elected Hillis stated. "I'm honored that I will be representing you on the Town Council, and I am looking forward to getting to work."
"I look forward to working with fellow council members on the Town's business, including the new housing element, the budget, and planning for potential increases in traffic," wrote Shapiro. "I also would like to find ways to make participation in Town government more efficient, so that more younger residents, with busy lives, volunteer for Council positions."
Votes are still being tallied. County election officials must report final official results to the Secretary of State by Dec. 9. The Secretary of State will certify the results on Dec. 16.

print story

Before you print this article, please remember that it will remain in our archive for you to visit anytime.
download pdf
(use the pdf document for best printing results!)
Send your comment to:
Reach the reporter at:

This article was published on Page A4:

Quick Links for LamorindaWeekly.com
send artwork to:
Classified ads
Lamorinda Service Directory
About us and How to Contact us
Letter to the Editor
Send stories or ideas to:
Send sports stories and photos to:
Subscribe to receive a delivered or mailed copy
Subscribe to receive storylinks by email
Our Homes
Copyright Lamorinda Weekly, Moraga CA